What are the advantages of memorizing al-Quran?
Alhamdulillah, all praise and gratitude we send to Allah SWT. Praise and salutations to our beloved Prophet Muhammad PBUH, his wives, family, companions and all those who follow his footsteps till the Day of Judgement.
Syeikh Muhammad Ali al-Sobuni defined al-Quran: Al-Quran is the Kalam of Allah which is the miracle revealed to the final of all Prophets and Messengers through the angel Gabriel AS written on the mashaf which is conveyed to us through mutawatir by reciting git is a type of worship starting from aurah al-Fatihah and ended with surah al-Nas. 
Ever since al-Quran is revealed, it has been protected with utmost care. There are numerous people who memorized al-Quran from the rime of Rasullullah PBUH until today. Al-Quran is also protected in its written form where at the beginning, most al-Quran writers produce mushaf. And after the advancement of technology, al-Quran is published in printed form.
All of this protection of al-Quran in the form of mushaf and memorization are clear proof al-Quran is protected from any mistake or deficit. This is in line with the statement of Allah SWT:
إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُون
“Indeed, it is We who sent down the Qur’an and indeed, We will be its guardian.” 
There is a hadith qudsi narrated from ‘Iyadh bin HImar RA, where Rasullullah PBUH said, Allah SWT states:
إنَّمَا بَعَثْتُكَ لأَبْتَلِيَكَ وأَبْتَلِيَ بِكَ، وأَنْزَلْتُ عَلَيْكَ كِتاباً لا يَغْسِلُهُ المَاءُ
“I have sent thee (the Holy Prophet) in order to put you to test and put (those to test) through you. And I sent the Book to you which cannot be washed away by water,” 
Imam al-Nawawi said: The meaning here is that al-Quran is protected in the hearts of people and will remain throughout time. 
Among the greatest blessing is the blessing of faith and Islam. As well as istiqamah and obedience. Furthermore, being given a good mind and great memory of which enabled him to memorize al-Quran or several verses from it.
It is stated here the advantages of memorizing al-Quran:
- First: From Abdullah bin Umar R.Anhuma, Rasullullah PBUH said:
يُقالُ لِصَاحِبِ القُرْءَانِ اِقرَأْ وَارتَقِ وَرَتِّل كَمَا كُنتَ تُرَتِّلُ فِي الدُّنْيَا فَإِنَّ مَنْزِلَتَكَ عِنْدَ اَخِرِ اَيَةٍ تَقْرَأءُبِهَا
“It shall be said – meaning to the one who memorized the Qur’an – ‘Recite, and rise up, recite (melodiously) as you would recite in the world. For indeed your rank shall be at the last Ayah you recited.'” 
- Second: From Aisyah R.Anha, Rasullullah PBUH said:
مَثَلُ الَّذِي يَقْرَأُ القُرْآنَ، وَهُوَ حَافِظٌ لَهُ مَعَ السَّفَرَةِ الكِرَامِ البَرَرَةِ، وَمَثَلُ الَّذِي يَقْرَأُ، وَهُوَ يَتَعَاهَدُهُ، وَهُوَ عَلَيْهِ شَدِيدٌ فَلَهُ أَجْرَانِ
“Such a person as recites the Qur’an and masters it by heart will be with the noble righteous scribes (in Heaven). And such a person exerts himself to learn the Qur’an by heart, and recites it with great difficulty, will have a double reward.” 
- Third: From Abu Mas’ud al-Badri, Uqbah Ibn Amru RA, Rasulullah PBUH said:
يَؤُمُّ القَومَ أَقرَؤُهُم لِكِتَابِ اللهِ
“The person who is best versed in the recitation of the Book of Allah should lead the prayer,” 
- Fourth: From Umar Ibn Al-Khattab RA, Rasullullah PBUH said:
اِنَّ اللهَ يَرفَعُ بِهَذَا الكِتَابِ أَقْوَاماً ويَضَعُ بِهِ آخَرِينَ
“By this Book God exalts some peoples and lowers others.” 
- Fifth: From Abu Umamah al-Bahili RA, Rasullullah PBUH said:
اِقرَؤُواْ القُرءَانَ فَإِنَّهُ يَأتِي يَوْمَ القِيَامَةِ شَفِيعاً لأَصحَابِهِ
“Recite the Qur’ān, for on the day of resurrection it will come as an intercessor for those who recite it.” 
- Sixth: From Anas bin Malik RA, he said, Rasullullah PBUH said:
إِنَّ للهِ اَهْلِينَ مِنَ النَّاسِ. قَالُوا: يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ مَنْ هُمْ؟ قَالَ: هُمْ أَهْلُ القُرءَانِ, أَهْلُ اللهِ وَخَاصَّتُهُ
“The Messenger of Allah said: ‘Allah has His own people among mankind.’ They said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, who are they?’ He said: ‘The people of the Qur’an, the people of Allah and those who are closest to Him.'” 
The word ahlullah used for the people who memorized al-Quran is a depiction of their honour and special attribute. True are the words of Imam Ibn al-Jazari in Syarh Taibah al-Nasyr:
وَأَنَّهُم فِي النَّاسِ أَهلُ اللهِ وَأَنَّ رَبَّنَا بِهِم يُبَاهِي
وَقَالَ عَنْهُم فِي القُرءَانِ وَكَفَى بِأَنَّهُ أَورَثَهُ مَنِ اصْطَفَى
Indeed, they are amongst the people ahlullah
Indeed, our Lord is proud of them
He described them in al-Quran and that is enough
For indeed, He bequeathed it to those who are chosen.
According to the above evidences, it clearly showed the advantages of reciting and memorizing al-Quran such that the rewards and favours aren’t granted to anyone else. The favours aren’t limited to the hereafter but even in this world. Ibn Hajar al-Haitami once said specific news regarding memorizing al-Quran is not only its recitation for reading is not different from others.
We would like to present facts and realities for those who have memorized al-Quran the benefits and advantages that not only in the hereafter but even in this world still. Among them are:
- Increased sustenance. For example, he is needed to be the imam, supplication reciter and problem solver in society. Logically, whoever guards Allah and take care of Him including protecting His words, surely, Allah will protect him as stated in al-Quran and hadith.\
- Excel in exams. A student who memorizes al-Quran usually will excel in life and examinations. This is not uncommon when students who studied in maahad tahfiz, when they sit for examinations such as the SPM or STPM they will get great results. It may be due to the exercise and memorization system having been ingrained in themselves and the greater reason is because of the blessing of the Quran itself.
- Eloquence in speech. This is a clear effect for people who memorize the Quran, especially the Arabic pronunciation as the lughah (language) of al-Quran. Likewise, this is known by Dr Yahya al-Bardawi regarding the advantages of those who study and memorize al-Quran.
We close this discussion by including a hadith of Prophet PBUH narrated from Uthman bin Affan RA, Rasullullah PBUH said:
خَيْرُكُمْ مَنْ تَعَلَّمَ القُرْآنَ وَعَلَّمَهُ
“The best among you is he who learns and teaches the Qur’ān.” 
Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani stated in his commentary: People who study al-Quran will receive goodness even when he didn’t teach it. However, if a person studies the Quran and teaches it to others will attain greater goodness, for he also receives the advantages as a teacher that is followed.